Car Phone Holder and the New California Driving Law
Listen up California drivers! The new California driving law (AB 1785, Quirk) is now in effect and has big implications on cell phone use while driving.
Texting, swiping and talking on the phone (with the phone to your ear) while driving was already prohibited, but now drivers are barred from holding and operating their phones for any purpose, including clicking or swiping on the touchscreen. Any violation of this law will land you a $20 fine for first offense and a $50 fine for each subsequent violation.
Note, however, that you can still use your phone while driving if it’s mounted to the windshield, dashboard or air vent via a mount or clip. However, even when mounted the device must be activated with only one finger tap or swipe.
What else does AB 1785 mean for you?
Probably that now is as good a time as any to invest in a new phone car holder that will discourage you from holding your phone while driving.
Here are some tips on how to pick the right phone car holder for your vehicle.
Choosing the Right Phone Car Holder
When selecting a phone car holder, you need to take into consideration:
- Mount type (suction cup mount, adhesive gel, clip mount)
- Holder type (spring-load grip, magnetic, clamp or sticky pad)
- Available viewing angles
- Ease of installation and device fit
A phone car holder with 360-degree rotation can easily set your device in various viewing angles, giving you more flexibility to toggle between landscape and portrait mode when using your GPS.
Depending on where you can put your car phone holder, you will probably have options as far as the mount type. Here are some things to consider:
- An adhesive gel mount can easily mount to any flat, nonporous surface, while the vent clip mount can only be used on air vents.
- Some universal phone car holders with adjustable spring-load grips can fit any device as big as aniPhone 7 Plus or a Galaxy Note.
- If your phone car holder is adjustable, this will allow you to upgrade your device at any time without having to buy a new phone car holder.
If you’re ready to buy a new phone car holder, you’ll want to get an idea for what’s out there and the key features. In no particular order, here’s a list of our top 4 phone car holders: